Sunday, February 7, 2016

How to Tip



 You're having one of those pick me up days where you just want to splurge and do something special.  So you head to the mall and you swear to yourself that you are just going to look around. No way, when you arrive at this apothecary of beauty products, you're standing there with your eyes and mouth wide open, just like when your mom put lipstick on you for the first time....MAGIC

From serums to moisturizers to concealers to the perfect gloss; you have found your beauty oasis.  Next thing you know you are offered a smoky eye demo, or how to apply the perfect red for you lips demo, or even a full face application.  All the consultants working there hopefully offer suggestions, tips or tricks, for your beauty blunders. If you like what she or he did thank them for it.  Most beauty shops especially in malls or department stores, the Beauticians generally are unable to accept tips in the form of money.  So why not go back another day or time and show her your thanks by bringing a flower, tea, card or whichever way you feel is the best way to say thank-you.
Which now leads us to having a private session with your artist.  This is something we generally think of as a special treat or luxury.  Remember that if she or he asks for a deposit, don't get scared of that.  Time is money for both parties.  One should understand that there is nothing worse than being stood up. So if the artist is professional, fun, has great suggestions and tips and creates a useful chart for you to take home after your consultation, then there is nothing wrong with that.  Remember your artist spends a lot of money to keep things current, fresh and  a good  selection of name brands.  Also if you ask for lashes or for her to travel, don't expect that to be free.  You're artist spends a lot of money keeping their kit sanitary, stocked with top brands, and not to mention the thousands of dollars spent on education.   Would you work for free?  A simple tipping gesture is welcome to hair stylists, spa services and estheticians as well.
If the consultation is unhygienic, rushed, or uncomfortable in any way, please let your artist know.  Obviously if we don't want to tip in this situation, we can see why you wouldn't.
How much to leave? 10-20% is good.  There again, this is a suggestion not a rule.  It's the gesture that matters. 

Readers Choice Comments

Kristina says: "I think this is a given.  I tip my tattoo artist for doing a beautiful job, so why should this be different? The only difference is that one is permanent and the other is not, but the look is permanent in memories and pictures".
Azalea says: "I have had my makeup done by many makeup artists who have their own business and I do still tip of course.  I think it's important."
Cassandra says: "Tip your artist but I'd say the only time I wouldn't is if the end result was poor as well.  My hairdresser is amazing at that.  She will suggest things too, and always do a phenomenal job.  Good work deserves gratuity."
Rhonda says: "As a makeup artist, I've seen both"  She agrees with the other ladies. "You could absolutely tip if you are happy with the work.  I think some people are unsure about this as it's a service being provided in their home or on location. I know how thrilled when I am tipped.  It tells me that they were truly happy with the look and service.  I would feel equally bad with no tip if I knew I did a great job. I would never say anything but I would."

No comments:

Post a Comment